Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Cloth diapers vs. Disposables

  Parents come from all walks of life.  Some parents are married, some are not.  Some work, some don't.  Some parents are gay, some are straight.  Some parents adopt their children.  There is one thing that all parents have in common: we all want to do what is best for our children.

  When my daughter was a few months old, I found myself at a point where I decided to change what I was doing for the good of my child.  Disposables were giving her a rash, and as a single mother, I could not afford to spend 100$ a month on poop catchers.  We made the switch to cloth when Midge was 3-4 months old, and have never looked back.  It was best choice for my family, but what about yours?  As a cloth diapering mother, I often get asked about the benefits of cloth diapering.  There are a ton of pros and cons on both sides.  Here are some key points.


Cloth diapering saves money.  For a 'premium' stash of cloth diapers, one would spend almost 500$ on diapers.  Yes, the up front cost is larger than disposables.  But once you spend that money, you're done! There are also cheaper options for a family on a budget.  Using disposables, a family usually spends around 2000$!
Cloth diapers have to be washed.  This can be an inconvenience for some families who do not have a washer, are on a tight schedule, or for any other number of reasons.  It can be done without a washer, but this may not be right for some families.
Disposables create a lot of waste.  This is a fact we cannot ignore.  While cloth diapers use water, disposables have a much harsher impact on our environment.
Disposables contain chemicals.  This was the main reason for my switch from sposies to cloth.  If you haven't look up the chemicals in disposable diapers, I suggest you do it.  Chemicals are everywhere, and we all want to protect are kids.  This is one area that some families find is an important one to limit chemical exposure.
Many rash creams can't be used on cloth diapers.  The ingredients will not always wash clean, causing your diapers to repel.  There are lots of cloth safe options, but my daughter doesn't respond to them as well as she did to good ol' Desitin.
Cloth is cute!  It may be bulky, but it's cute.  There is no downside to cute.

What diapers do you use?  Do you use cloth full time, part time, or not at all?  Tell me what caused you to come to this decision in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment