Sunday, March 10, 2013

My baby's first tooth

It finally hit me the other day that my baby is growing up.  Two days ago, my nearly 9-month-old got her first tooth.  It's right in the front, on the bottom, where I can't ignore it.  I was hoping she would be toothless for at least a few more months, preferably forever.  It looks like it didn't work out that way.


It's hard to look at my little baby and know that soon, she'll be a toddler, then a child, and one day she'll be an adult.  Then, what will I have?  Being a single mother, I spend a lot of time worrying that I won't find anyone to have more children with.  Because I am my daughter's only parent and primary caregiver, we have a special bond, but that doesn't mean I don't want more children some day.  I didn't think about it until recently, but I love having a baby.  We have our rough spots and it's difficult, but I'm good at it.  Midge has been a baby for almost nine months, and until recently it never occurred to me that should won't always be a baby.  One day, she will be able to walk and talk.  She won't need diapers and I won't be nursing her every two hours.  Eventually she'll be too big to carry or wear.  One day, she won't need me anymore and I will be a childless mother.

Eventually, I will have to face the fact that my daughter is growing up.  This is something that I have been struggling with every minute since I noticed Midge's first tooth a few days ago.  Being a single mother is full of challenges.  Knowing that I may never find someone to have more children with is certainly what I struggle with most.  Hopefully, as my daughter grows I will come to accept it.  We will move on from our old challenges and onto new ones.  We will make new memories.  In the mean time, I'm going to put that new tooth to use and try to accept it.

When did you notice that your baby was growing up?

2 comments:

  1. I dread that moment. My son is almost 4 months old & he's teething. While I was breastfeeding he bared down & it felt like a tooth was right under his gums. It hurt so bad. I cried. Not because of the pain, but because my precious boy is growing faster than I realized.

    ReplyDelete