Monday, March 25, 2013

Going 'poo-free! Day 14

I'm going shampoo free!  Day 1 of my no-poo journey can be found here. Day 3 can be found here.  Day 7 can be found here.

If you would have asked me 10 days ago if I thought you should go poo-free, I would have told you to spare yourself.  10 days ago, 4 days into my pooless challenge, my hair looked yucky.  It was greasy, dirty, and I think it might have smelled.  If you ask me right now if I think you should stop using shampoo, what would I say?  Of course you should stop using shampoo!

I love my shampoo free hair.  It's clean, shiny, soft, and much easier to brush.  Looking at it, you would have no idea I haven't used shampoo in more than two weeks.  When I first started my adventure, everyone thought I was crazy.  Well, everyone still thinks I'm crazy, but they admit that my hair looks good!  I feel great about my choice to stop using shampoo.  I'm saving money, the environment, and my hair.

Unfortunately, I'm still not noticing much of a difference in my dandruff.  It isn't as bad as it was when I started, but I'm still dealing with a lot of itching and flaking.  :(  I'm trying not to get too down about it.  There has been a small difference, but nothing like I was hoping for.  I'm hoping that my scalp just needs time to heal and then it will magically stop flaking.

Because my hair has adjusted and I have found love in my new hair care routine, this is going to be my last update for the time being.  If anything changes, I will be sure to let you guys know.  If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask them! 

4 comments:

  1. I could NEVER go shampoo free. First, I use gel and must wash said gel out. Second, I hate that greasy feel when my hair needs washed. I have never had any problems from using shampoo, only from not using.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still wash my hair. I just don't use shampoo. It isn't greasy, it's very clean. There is a detox period, but after that is very clean and healthy. I liked using shampoo too, but I also like not using it. And I like keeping chemicals off of me as much as possible. You don't have to go shampoo free, it's just something to think about.

      Delete
    2. Shampoo actually dries your scalp out causing that greasy feeling because your scalp is confused and overproduces oil to make up for the dryness. And you still wash your hair, just not with soap.

      And for gel I have curly frizz head so I HAVE to put product in my hair. If you saw my bathroom you'd think you'd just walked into a salon!!!! But what I ended up doing when I went poo free was make my own gel. It's super healthy for your hair and doesn't leave that icky flaky crunchy look or residue. It's flax seed gel. You boil 2 cups of water and add 1/4 cup flax seed (they sell it at my local typically overpriced grocery store for $1/lb way cheap!!!!) reduce to med heat and let slow boil for 7-9 minutes. I use a pint size canning jar and put a few drops of tea tree oil to help preserve It and give it a scent (but any essential oil will do or none). I use a sifter to strain the gel into the jar (the sooner you do it the better, the gel thickens as it cools). And voila.

      Delete
  2. Wow I'm glad your hair adjusted so fast. Mine adjusted fast too. But I have dry hair so I didn't mind the extra oil haha!!! What are you putting in the conditioner? I know you aren't a huge tto fan but I've heard it actually helps scalp issues. It cleared up my LOs cradle cap super quickly!!!! You don't need a lot. Or you could try putting old fashioned oatmeal in a blender or food processor to making it into powder and adding it to the vinegar. Also idk if you use white or apple cider vinegar but acv is supposed to be better.

    ReplyDelete