Saturday, March 2, 2013

Prefolds and plastic pants

“My baby is ____ months/years old, is it too late to switch to cloth?”

 I see this question asked all the time. It is never too late to switch to cloth! Unless you don’t have a child in diapers and never plan to have another one. That might be an exception. Many people seem to think it isn’t worth it to switch to cloth if their child is already born or they already have one or more children. This isn’t the case! Your child will benefit from using cloth diapers even if they only spend a few months together, and so will the environment.

 As much as I love my cloth diapers now, I haven’t always used them. I was not cloth diapered as a child, so when my daughter was born, I followed my mother’s advice and used Pampers. After a few months, I began to doubt my choice to use disposable diapers. I had read about ‘new’ cloth diapers on the internet, and a few friends of mine began telling me how easy they were. When Midge was 3 and a half months old, I made up my mind and decided to make the switch. Cloth diapers looked just as easy as disposable ones, would save me money, and were better for my baby’s butt. I couldn’t see a reason to stick with sposies. My grandma greeted the idea with great enthusiasm and was more than happy to help get me started, so we set out to buy Midge’s first cloth diapers.

 Unfortunately, cloth diapers aren’t easy to come by in my city. We don’t have any stores focusing on them, and had to settle for what we could find. My daughter’s first cloth diaper was a Babies R Us prefold, covered with plastic pants! And, yes, I pinned it. It wasn’t pretty, but no one got hurt. We used them for about two weeks, while we waited for my Flip covers to arrive in the mail. It was an adjustment, but I would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

 We have come a long way since plastic pants and pinning, but we are still passionate about it and will continue to use cloth until we no longer have a need for diapers at all. 

 

What was YOUR baby’s first cloth diaper?

20 comments:

  1. You are so right, it's never too late! Our first was Bumgenius 3.0. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You started off a lot more modern that I did, haha.

      Delete
  2. We didn't start off cloth diapering either. We started using Pampers since that's what we used at the hospital and they seemed to work. We switched when my little guy was about 6 months old. It's never too late to start. Our first diaper was a flip cover. (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of my friends started off with Cotton Babies products. A Flip was my second diaper. We still use them, too.

      Delete
  3. I did not cloth diaper my first and I regret it! Unfortunately we also don't have stores around us either. I think if we did and my husband was able to see a cloth diaper in person, we would of started a long time ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you didn't get to cloth diaper your first :( But it's never too late. I agree, I would have started sooner had I been able to see some in person.

      Delete
  4. Way to go 'old school'! I'm not sure that I would have stuck with it if pins and plastic pants were my only options at first...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't fancy, but it did the job. I'll admit, I was extremely excited to have my Flips arrive so I could throw away those damn plastic pants. Haha!

      Delete
    2. I personally loved wearing plastic baby panties as a child up to age 12. I loved to wear
      all the various colors and styles both slip on and snap on.

      Delete
    3. I wore plastic baby panties from ages 3 to 17. I love the way they feel between my thighs. I feel safe and secure wearing rubber baby panties. I love the way they rustle.

      Delete
    4. We have a newly adopted 14 year old daughter who is starting over as a baby and we have her in regular cloth pin on diapers and adult size plastic pants 24/7.she wears tee shirts and uses a pacifier and a bottle and sleeps in an over size crib right now.

      Delete
  5. we used prefolds at first, too. Here's my post! Please visit, I've been CD'ing for a LONG time so it's fun seeing 'newbies' learn! http://www.lifeisnotbubblewrapped.com/2013/03/04/cloth-diaper-blog-hop-our-getting-started-story-on-cloth-diapers/

    ReplyDelete
  6. My story sounds kind of similar except that my mother asked me at my baby shower if I was going to consider cloth diapers. At that point I was still unaware of just how much they'd change since my first son was born in 1999. I quickly became overwhelmed so I didn't buy my first cloth diaper until my new baby was 6 months old. There also wasn't a local brick and mortar store to me then (there is now because we've moved to another state) so I ended up buying a lot of diapers that didn't work for us at first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have bought a lot that didn't work for me, too. I sure wish there was a store near me, so I could have touched them first. I think I would have started sooner. I'm glad you made the switch! Even if it was a few months in.

      Delete
  7. I started with Sunbabies, they work, but now I have Kuwaiis, and thirsties hemp inserts too, and I like them much better

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that your grandma was all for it;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have cloth diapered since our eldest grew into preemie prefolds. She was early and two weeks and hundreds of paper diapers later, we were ecstatic to make the switch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My daughter is a teen ager,age 15 and a bedwetter.I use the gerber flat cloth diapers in the 24x27 inch size on her at bedtime.I fold them just like for a baby and pin them on her.she wears adult size medium plastic pants over them.they work well for her.I use baby powder and lotion on her when i diaper her.she has been in the cloth diapers and ,rubberpants since she was 13.Last year when she was confirmed at 14,she had to wear a white poofy dress and veil with lace anklets and white mary janes.I put the diapers and rubberpants on her when i dressed her and she wore them for the ceremony and her party.I was proud having her in the white outfit for the day.

    ReplyDelete