Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Make Your Own Chemical-Free Deodorant, at Home!

Before you start, here's what you'll need:
Coconut oil
Baking soda
Corn starch
Beeswax
A small or medium pot
A clean, glass jar
A plastic spoon
A knife
An old, clean deodorant tube OR an ice cube tray OR silicone molds
A freezer 


A few days ago, I wrote about no longer using traditional deodorant.  Instead, I'm making my own!  It's really easy, it works, and it's cheap.  You probably have some or all of these ingredients laying around your house already.  There are several recipes out there, and what works for me may not work for you.  Feel free to try it, tweak it, and throw out that old store-bought deodorant!

To make yours the way I made mine, here's what you'll need:


Coconut oil: 3T
Baking soda: 1 1/2 T (I have heard that those of you with sensitive skin may want to substitute with arrowroot powder.  I did NOT have a problem with the baking soda, so I haven't tried the arrowroot and can't speak for its effectiveness.)
Corn starch: 1 1/2 T
Beeswax: 1-2 square inch chunks (I used 1 roughly square inch chunk of beeswax.  I wish I would have used more.  If you put your deodorant in a tube instead of into chunks/shapes, you might not need as much beeswax.)
This recipe makes a batch that is a good size for testing.  If you make a batch and love it, you can of course double or triple these numbers to make more at once.


You will also need a pot like this one, around half full with water, and turned to about medium heat

and a glass jar, like this mason jar. ( I recommend having one jar sent aside for these kinds of projects, because sometimes it can be hard to get all of the beeswax out.  I use mine for deodorant, lotion, and rash cream, but never for food.)

You'll see my jar up there, with my coconut oil in it.  Turn your burner on, put your pot with water in it, and add the jar with coconut oil.  There is no need to wait for the water to heat up first.  Coconut oil melts at a low temperature, so you'll notice it melts quickly if you pick the jar up by the rim and swirl the contents a little every now and then.  


Next, take your knife and cut off a chunk of the beeswax and throw it in.  This may take some time to melt.  I swirled often and it still took about ten minutes.  When all of the beeswax has melted, start to add in your corn starch and baking soda.  I mixed those two together and sprinkled in about 1/4 at a time, mixing well each time.  It may settle to the bottom first and require some actual stirring, so be warned and don't use any utensils that have sentimental value.  I went with a plastic spoon in case it wouldn't come clean.  Add in the corn starch/baking soda until it has all mixed in and none of it rests on the bottom.  I neglected to take any pictures of this step, I'm sorry about that.  It's fairly straightforward though, so I imagine you can figure it out based on my directions.

Next, turn off your burner and remove the jar.  You'll have to work quickly now.  Pour or spoon your mixture into an old deodorant tube, an ice cube try, or silicone molds.  The baking soda may start to settle to the bottom, so work quickly!  When you have all of the deodorant where you want it, pop it in the freezer.  This is done to harden the liquid quickly, to avoid the ingredients separating and settling.  After 5-10 minutes, when your liquid has become a solid, take out your home-made deodorant.  It was that easy!  If you used an ice cube try or silicone molds, pop out the cubes while they're still cold and easier to work with.  I store mine wrapped in a paper towel in a plastic bag.  I use one piece at a time, and I leave it set out on my dresser on a paper towel.  This recipe makes enough to last me about a month.

Ta-da!  Enjoy.


Comments are welcome!  If you made some, tell me how you liked it.  If you have questions, ask them!

6 comments:

  1. Wow looks really easy! I'm going to have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really easy! The hardest part was waiting for the beeswax to melt.

      Delete
  2. I have thought about making my own deodorant. Maybe I will try your recipe. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great!

    reinventing-lolli.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have beeswax, but I do have soy wax. Do you think I can substitute? Every recipe I've seen says beeswax, but it seems like you have to buy it online.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could give it a try! You might have to experiment a little to find out how much you need, but it should work just fine. If you have any health stores near you, you may be able to find beeswax there. Craft stores may also carry it, I've seen it at Hobby Lobby and Michael's.

      Delete