Monday, May 20, 2013

Why Am I Washing Diapers By Hand?

Today is the day!  It's the first day of the Flats and Handwashing Challenge, hosted by Dirty Diaper Laundry, and I'm giving it a shot.  For the next week I will only be using flats and covers to diaper my 11 month old, and my own two hands to wash them...along with the help of some soap and water, of course.  No pocket diapers, no AIOs, no fitteds, no washing machine, no dryer, and no complaining.

But I'm not doing this just for fun.  I'm doing this to prove a point.  You can put clean diapers on your baby, no matter what your budget is.  You don't have to spend 2,000$ on disposable diapers.  You don't have to spend hundreds of dollars on fancy modern cloth diapers (unless you want to, because it is sort of fun) and you most certainly DO NOT have to re-use disposable diapers.  Under no circumstances should a child have to wear the same diaper all day, or multiple times over the course of a few days.  You don't have to do that.  You can diaper your baby using things you already have around your home!

It is absolutely possible to cloth diaper using flats and covers.  I've been doing that already, though not exclusively, since Midge was 4 months old.  That part is easy and it can even be fun.  I have never handwashed before, but it can be done.  People had been handwashing their clothes for a long time before washing machines were invented.  It seems to be a lost art.  I might not enjoy it, but I'm still going to do it.  There are lots of things about parenting that aren't always fun.  I don't enjoy cleaning up spit-up.  I don't enjoy getting woken up in the middle of the night.  I don't think I'm going to enjoy handwashing diapers.  But that doesn't mean it can't be done.  As parents, we do whatever we have to do to ensure our kids are taken care of as best as possible.  You CAN diaper your child.  I (and many other bloggers) am going to prove it.


Why are YOU taking the Flats and Handwashing Challenge?

2 comments:

  1. You certainly are a super mom. I tried cloth diapers and just couldn't do it. Sad to say using disposables, but if I had to do it again, I would go cloth. Just all that landfill stuff doesn't sit well with me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And don't sweat it. In the end, you did your best and it's nothing to feel bad over.

      Delete