Monday, May 6, 2013

Why I'm Doing the 'Flats and Handwashing Challenge'


Most of you don't know a whole lot about me.  I talk about my daughter, my pets, and my plants, but I seldom talk about myself.  While I don't have much to say about myself today, I do have something to say about my childhood.  My mother had me when she was young.  She was a teenager, and so was my father.  They married and he started working, but there were a lot they could not afford.  Diapers were one of those things.  Even buying the cheapest brand of disposable diapers was difficult on their tight budget.  Sometimes, they simply did not have the money for them.  When I was an infant, I wore the same disposable diaper more than once.  My mom didn't know about cloth diapers, or didn't think she could use them.  So instead, she scraped the solid waste out of my diapers  or allowed the urine and gel to dry, and I wore them two, three, or more times.

I don't want anyone else to have to go through that.  1 in every 3 American families struggles to afford diapers for their child or children.  You don't have to re-use disposable diapers!  There are other options.  That's why I'm doing the Flats and Handwashing Challenge this year, with Dirty Diaper Laundry. (Click here to read about and sign up for the challenge)  You CAN use very low-cost, 'old fashioned' flat diapers on your baby.  You CAN wash your diapers without a machine.  You CAN diaper your baby.  You do not need to re-use disposable diapers.  It is absolutely possible to diaper your baby using nothing but flat diapers, covers, fasteners, laundry soap, a plunger, and a bucket.  Don't believe me?  I'll prove it.  I, along with many other people, will be doing the Flats and Handwashing Challenge this May 20th through the 26th.  I'm doing it to prove that you CAN diaper your baby without re-using disposable diapers.  Why are you?

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder to sign up! I <3 cloth diapering, but I've never used flats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never used flats. And I certainly am not up to handwashing. Good for you for trying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this personal story and for everything that you do!

    Bonnie :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the first year I'm signing up the the challenge. I'm looking forward to the challenge. My heart broke reading the article on DDL and hearing your story, it makes me excited for the challenge even more. To show people that they don't have to reuse diapers.

    ReplyDelete