Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Mira Brands Digital Kitchen Scale ST95 Review

Disclaimer: I received the following product free of charge in exchange for my honest opinion about it.  I was not paid or compensated for this post in any other way and all opinions expressed are my own.


Say 'hello' to the Mira Brands digital kitchen scale ST95!

(Please excuse the crushed box.  My cat thought it was for him.)

I try to stay away from single purpose items when I can, in an effort to reduce the amount of items in my itty bitty apartment.  My kitchen is one of the smallest and most crowded rooms in my home.  Because of this, my grandma thought I was nuts when I told her we were getting a kitchen scale.  "What are you going to use it for?  It's going to take up a lot of space just so you can weigh your flour." She wasn't on board at first.  Now that we have our Mira Brands ST95 kitchen scale, neither of us would want to be without it. 




The scale is about 9 inches long, 5 inches wide, 1.5 inches tall and is pretty light in weight. It's very small and slim, making it easy to store when not in use.  It comes with a large (24.5 cm in diameter) stainless steel bowl, which can be used to weigh things like flour, or removed to weigh things without the bowl.  The scale requires 3 AAA batteries to work, can measure in grams/ounces/kilos and has a maximum capacity of 11 pounds.



Setting up and using the scale is ridiculously easy.  Simply turn the scale over, put the batteries (included) in, then turn it over.  The blue LCD screen will light up to let you know you did it right. If you want to measure using the bowl, set the bowl on the scale and press the On/Off/Zero button to balance the bowl out to zero.  Once the screen reads 'zero', you can add whatever you're weighing and that's it!  If you want to adjust the unit, and measure in grams or milliliters instead of ounces, simply press the 'unit' button.  It's all very simple and easy to use.  The scale will automatically turn off after a few minutes without use, or you can hold down the On/Off/Zero button to turn it off manually

I use my kitchen scale for a lot more than I thought I would use it for.  They aren't just for flour!  Fruits and veggies, chocolate, sugar, you name it.  The Mira Brands kitchen scale is great for non-kitchen related things also!  I use mine to weigh packages so I can ship them from home.  This alone makes it so convenient I don't ever want to get rid of it.

Quality-wise, the Mira Brands scale feels like it will hold up well.  It is accurate, well-made and durable.  While it did stand up to my 1 year old accidentally dropping it, it does have weight limit of 11 pounds, after which damage may occur.  If you overload the scale, the LCD screen will flash 'EEEE' like a little cry for help.  I don't know what you would need to weigh in the kitchen that might overload the scale, but be careful NOT to make the scale cry for help.

Overall, I am happy with my kitchen scale.  I love the size, accuracy and cute little blue digital screen.  The scale and I have become good friends, and he's staying with me (despite efforts from my parents to convince me that they would love him more than I do.)
You can buy your own Mira Brands kitchen scale on Amazon HERE for 39.99$

4 comments:

  1. I could really use one of these! I agree that it is nice to buy in bulk and measure. A scale just helps you be more accurate in baking as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my little kitchen scale. We use it for weighing meat when separating. It's also used for measuring food for calorie/macro tracking, cloth diaper absorbency experiments, and making formula back when my kids were still having bottles prepared every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a nice kitchen scale. I have a scale that I never use. Oh, well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that it has the tare function which is very helpful if you're weighing flour and liquids.

    ReplyDelete